This page has moved to a new address.

The Prayer of Jonah

Life Under the Sun: The Prayer of Jonah

Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Prayer of Jonah

Who isn’t familiar with the story of Jonah, the seemingly fantastical tale of the man who is swallowed by a fish? The unsaved write it off as highly improbable and imaginative.
Among Christians, Jonah the prophet often gets a bad rap. He is generally labeled “The Reluctant Prophet.” That title actually seems pretty forgiving.
But the book of Jonah is enigmatic, in that it is probably written by Jonah himself. He describes himself, almost seemingly tongue in cheek, as he perhaps later recognizes the ways he fell short in being all a prophet of God should be.
Jonah is a man who is chosen by a great God to do a task so daunting he feels that God has no right to ask him to do it (and he’s not so sure it should even be done). Apparently, although God is big, He’s not big enough to keep Jonah safe in Nineveh. And if God isn’t big enough to keep Jonah safe, maybe He’s not big enough to stop Jonah from doing his own thing. Maybe Jonah can run away from God and the job He has given him. Maybe Jonah can get away with it.
On the ship to Tarshish, Jonah frankly tells the sailors he’s running away from his God. His lack of concern is more evident in his going below deck for a nap. While he sleeps, the sea rages and the sailors pray to their gods in desperation. It turns out its Jonah’s God that they should be concerned with. Jonah recognizes that God has hunted him down, much as he did Adam and Eve after their sin in the garden. At Jonah’s own suggestion, the sailors throw him out of his “safe” place on the boat, into the sea. The storm stops.
Does Jonah want to die? Does he find that option preferable to doing God’s will or facing His wrath? Or is Jonah just kind-heartedly wanting to save the sailors? They don’t want his blood on their hands and are reluctant to throw him overboard.
Miraculously, despite all expectations, this action does not result in Jonah’s death. His fight with the deep is abruptly ended when a fish swallows him whole.
Does Jonah have a clue what has happened to him, while he steams and bleaches in the belly of that big creature of the sea? Does he believe himself to have died and been buried or does he think he is dreaming? If he does recognize that he’s in a fish’s belly, he must imagine himself undergoing the digestive process, wondering if it will be painful. Or perhaps he has the foresight to see God’s hand in it all, that this is actually a means of survival God has planned for him.
Jonah’s prayer while in the fish’s belly is a prayer I can identify with in many ways, though not entirely. He recounts crying out to God while he was floundering in the water. That I certainly would have also done. Jonah and I both can’t help but remember God when he backs us up against the wall. But then he thanks God for providing this means of deliverance. There’s where I’d be a bit more dubious, considering the circumstances, especially if some part of him felt like death might be a better alternative or if he’s not so sure where he is now. He finishes his prayer by contrasting his attitude with the heathens’ in that he remembers God (Jonah 2:7-9). He also says “Salvation comes from the Lord.” He doesn’t really repent of his wrong actions. Here again I identify. Odd that even when we acknowledge that God has saved us, we still often believe we have something to do with it, in that we remembered God. I know I’m very slow to admit I’m greatly in the wrong.
But though it seems this prayer may leave something to be desired, it is Jonah’s great moment of triumph. He reaches out to God, realizes God’s mercy to him in this phenomenal way, and thanks God for what He’s done. And this imperfect prayer that yet sees God’s hand, even in a dark situation of a man’s own doing, results in the most miraculous event of all: Jonah’s survival. The fish vomits Jonah up on dry land, apparently not too much worse for wear. Jonah’s prayer of acknowledging and thanking God has given Jonah a second chance.
Now does Jonah want to do what God wants him to? Not particularly. Now does he recognize his own sinfulness is as great as others? Is he now more compassionate toward them? It doesn’t really seem like it. But does God keep working in Jonah’s life? Yes.
The great story of Jonah owes much to his prayer in chapter two. It’s because of this account we each have hope for ourselves. God hears us wherever we are and if we will acknowledge him and even thank him for the work he does in our lives, though many times due to our own fault it may be painful and we may not fully admit how at fault we are, we can continue to be aware of His Spirit’s striving in us. He gives us third, fourth, fifth, innumerable chances. He asks us to take chances on others as well.
My kids love this over-the-top true story not just because it is such a great drama but also because it’s about someone who does the wrong thing, faces the consequences of it, cries out to God with a thankful spirit, and gets another chance. I’m reminded of Yeats’ “Second Coming” and the line “the best lack all conviction.” Enter Jonah, enter me. I don’t want to do what God wants me to, particularly if it means I must reach out to the frightening, the sinful, the unlovely. I run the other way and don’t admit that I’m disobeying God.
I even struggle to be thankful to God when things are going well, let alone when they are difficult. He has given me many gifts. But I find myself complaining to God about my problems, petty as they are, rather than recognizing and sharing with others all He’s done for me.
But when I cry out to God and express thankfulness to Him even in the midst of difficult circumstances, even while I’m struggling with self-righteousness, a chip on my shoulder, confusion or disillusionment with life itself, God shows Himself to me. He helps me to be assured that He is present, that He sees me trying to follow Him. He sees me trying to be a good parent, firm but fair and patient. His Spirit encourages me to pray for and reach out to fellow believers in their struggles and to share with others the difference God has made in my life, as well as lifting them up in prayer. He gives me more opportunities to serve Him.
A little while ago I was growing frustrated with the lack of depth of a Bible study I was attending, the lack of connection it was making with me. But I tried to thank God for what I was able to glean from the time. Soon after, the leader asked me to take the next two lessons. I wasn’t very excited about the idea, but agreed. As I prepared, I learned a great deal, and had more sympathy for the efforts our leader was making.
Yes, we’re a mess. Yes, we have selfishness and unbelief, but yes, we cry out and God hears. “Lord, help my unbelief. Help me when I don’t want to do what you want me to do or don’t do it with the right attitude.” “Lord, I am thankful to you, for what you’re doing in my life.”
Thank God for prayer. Thank God we can talk to Him and—flawed as our praise and petition is—thank God He hears us. Thank God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home