This page has moved to a new address.

The Farm Thing

Life Under the Sun: The Farm Thing

Monday, June 18, 2012

The Farm Thing

Today we took the kids to some relatives' hobby farm. On the way there, they were watching Bob the Builder when Lukas said, "Turn it off. I want to look at the countryside." A few minutes later, he announced, "Look! A big fat cow!" (you know you're a city slicker when . . .)
When we got there, the talkative Lukas told these people whom we really don't know well and are quite distantly related to, "This is it? This is a lot smaller than I expected."
But the kids had a great time feeding the horses dandelions, playing with puppies, throwing Frisbees for the collie to run after and sitting on the tractor, pretending to drive it. I was afraid half the time that they would break something or get hurt. Ern's cousin didn't help when she told me about a child getting in a horrible accident on the farm of some people she knew.
All the space was nice but it took us quite some time coming back before we found a place to eat lunch and when we were finally home, back to our little plot of land in the city, I found myself a little more content with our fishbowl status. It seems like it's always a give and take, making choices, sacrificing one thing for something else, so I think I'd better just think of the good in what I've got now and then in whatever God gives me next.
Glad for my blessings and trying to be happy for others in theirs as well.