This page has moved to a new address.

Media Overload

Life Under the Sun: Media Overload

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Media Overload

How is media able to suck us in, keep us hooked and make us consequently unsociable and not particularly productive? I know it has its place but TV, internet, and games on the phone are great time wasters and not the healthiest pursuits. Though I limit screen time, my kids crave it and act like I mistreat them when I don't allow them to have it. Some people argue to not bother trying to limit but let kids make themselves sick of media but I know from my own experience that I just keep coming back, so it stands to reason that they will too. Balance is hard.
Here's an interesting anecdote--Lukas videotaped himself reading The Big Ball of String. Print meets media. I might be able to handle that.