This page has moved to a new address.

Life Under the Sun

Monday, August 6, 2012

Tracie Peterson's Touching the Sky has a fairly interesting plot but its dialogue feels stilted. I didn't really like even the main characters all that much. Laura seems a prude though her defense of her sister later in the book does make her somewhat more endearing. She also seems rather patronizing. I think it a bit unbelievable that her family would neglect her so much, even forgetting her birthday in favor of her sister and that they'd all except her be so oblivious to Malcolm's true nature. It also seems a little strange that she would marry so quickly after counselling her sister so much against it, though the author does give some explanation as to why she would do so. I found the book generally to drag on a bit for me. The historical details such as the language of the fan were rather lost on me. I am afraid I found the concept silly and hard to relate to, but others might enjoy it. All in all, I would never rave about this book, but again, the plot does have appeal.