This page has moved to a new address.

Life Under the Sun

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

 The kids sometimes vy with one another for Lethei's attention and ask her who she likes best, who's her best friend. She says "You're all my best friends" (which is one reason they like her so much, and that she's cute and the littlest and they don't see her all day). When we drop the other kids off at school, she says, "All my friends are at school," though she does have friends in her little class on Friday too. But family are best friends, friends you share so much with, friends who know much about what makes you you and friends that you can have your whole life. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't always work like that. Sometimes family is the most difficult to get along with. Sometimes family just asks too much, isn't willing to give you enough elbow room to be a different or just don't bother to make the effort to be nice, to put up pretense they feel the need for with others. It's tough, but even then many times it's because they care and want what they feel is best for you or because they do feel a sense of belonging and nostalgia they want to preserve (or can't let go of). Just being there, not giving up, and trying not to press any more buttons than necessary, is what I've found to be the most helpful. I Cor. 13 love, the God-powered kind, wins the day. I'm praying for a long-lasting relationship with my kids. I don't want to annoy them or make them feel like they have to put up with me and breathe easy when I'm gone. May I give them appropriate grace (which will change of course as our roles change) and may they do the same for me!