This page has moved to a new address.

Secrets of Biblical Wisdom review

Life Under the Sun: Secrets of Biblical Wisdom review

Friday, October 12, 2012

Secrets of Biblical Wisdom review

This topic scares me. I don't know the answer. I agonize over decisions many times wishing I sensed clearer leading but I think this struggle may be good, a struggle to understand God's will and way and not read my own desires into situations. While I appreciate Searcy's emphases in his book The Secrets of Biblical Wisdom, on service, personal relationship w/ God, love for others, and not striving for the material, I'm concerned about the focus on dreams, vision, inclinations. Searcy does indicate we can make mistakes in interpreting these but also gives them a great deal of credit and seeks after them. Perhaps I'm wrong not to expect God to work more that way today--I know He can and sometimes does--but I believe as a rule He uses His Word and the Holy Spirit's helping us understand it and developing our reason far more. For example, I'm always troubled by stories of people who believe it God's will that they marry someone they don't know and so they go to them and tell them so, putting pressure on them to go along w/ "God's will." Granted, in Searcy's situation, the young woman feels similarly, but my husband and I have counselled people who've had this kind of experience w/ both even claiming they've experienced it but who were unable /unwilling to make something wholesome out of the relationship and didn't seem to want to be together or encourage each other toward real growth. I don't think pressure to make something happen because it's "God's will" is helpful here at all. We're generally far from knowing in such detail and being given such revelation to exactly what God is doing but just follow Him one day, one small step, at a time. There is much we do know and should strive for in our lives (that which Scripture clearly indicates), depend on God to be at work in us and accomplish. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Are we fearful and God-centered enough--God as He is and not who we wish Him to be? Searcy to his credit does admit to making wrong choices at times. He does give some good advice, but at the end of the day it's so experiential. God's first and foremost, I believe, God outside of us, and I'd err on this extreme if I must.