This page has moved to a new address.

Life Under the Sun

Thursday, February 14, 2013

I finished another book by Julie Klassen, The Tutor's Daughter. I really enjoyed it, could hardly put it down. Her stories have a very Jane Austen-like setting. This book reminded me somewhat of Persuasion; the main male protagonist is even "Weston" and the hidden "crazy" person made me think of Jane Eyre while the wreckers' element brought to mind Dickens' Our Mutual Friend (I think it is). What a fun, intriguing book. Of course, I feel like you can't go wrong with a bookish female protagonist and a misunderstood male protagonist who has matured with time and responsibility (and even sorrow). He is endearing  (and  Darcy of Pride and Prejudice-ish). I'd like to read more from this author. Also, the way faith is handled is real, sincere, and not at all in your face. It couldn't be more natural, appropriate, and encouraging. The secondary romance with Lizzie and one/two of the Weston sons was a bit underdeveloped (though I kind of like how it reminded me of Jane Austen's Emma, the secondary romance there as well). It's actually hard to find much of anything I disliked about this book.