This page has moved to a new address.

I was proud of myself

Life Under the Sun: I was proud of myself

Friday, May 10, 2013

I was proud of myself

I was proud of myself that in a conversation I was being encouraging and spiritual but not too much so, you know? In fact, though my first impulse had been to lay on the verses, I'd held off and listened first (remembering some advice I'd read to that end in a biblical counseling book). Then boom, right after I revealed a weakness in myself, a personal struggle, I got kicked in the teeth, right where it hurt, right where I'd just said it hurt. And I groaned inwardly in pain. Okay, God, I can't do this after all. I need you. Help me to be gracious.
I was also convicted that I've done the same thing, kicking people when they're down, even in the area I know they're down about.
I'm reading Pearcey's Total Truth and Augustine's Confessions. I want to be part of transforming the culture I live in, using Scripture as my measuring stick, building on historical faith.
But I'm in need of transforming.