This page has moved to a new address.

Altars

Life Under the Sun: Altars

Monday, January 9, 2012

Altars

Does it sound strange to say that the desk in my dining room space is kind of an altar? It's the place I most commonly escape w/ my Bible, journal, Bible study books, hymnal. It's kind of "set apart" for that for me. Unfortunately, it's probably also an altar to the internet, as my computer sits here also, and I sometimes waste more time on it than I spend in more beneficial pursuits.
For a busy mom, an altar might be beside her bed where her Bible rests on the bedside table, a spot on the counter where she keeps a stack of verse cards, or it may be a moving place, as she sometimes curls up on the couch to study God's Word, meditate on Him or pray to Him or sings praises while she works. An altar is any place set apart for God.
There are things in my life and people that I must repeatedly offer up, set apart, for God, ceasing to hold onto them so tightly, as though I even had the power to do so.
Ultimately the truest altar for me is my heart and mind and soul--my inner self--which by God's grace and the Holy Spirit at work in me is deliberately set apart for God, though again many times it's crowded either by the frivolous or the sinful. May I give it over to Him for His control every day and in everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home