This page has moved to a new address.

More and Less Than Expected

Life Under the Sun: More and Less Than Expected

Sunday, January 15, 2012

More and Less Than Expected

Sweet's I Am a Follower was more and less than I expected. I thought that comparing Jesus to a shirtless dancer at a Sasquatch Festival and indicating that we "cease to think when [our bodies begin] to dance to the rhythms of the Spirit" were troubling. I also don't believe it's accurate to string communion and eucharist together as though the differences aren't noteworthy. However, with beautiful language, Sweet challenges readers to let Christ control them, to follow Him, urging others to follow Christ with them. Christ is really the focus. Even leaders are really other followers of Christ. Sweet encourages believers to sing the same song but different harmonizing parts rather than expecting everyone to sing exactly the same notes. The church and our Christian life aren't about getting as much as we can--the best or most we can as soon as possible--but about persistently serving and growing together. I was truly challenged by this book and left it to pray that the Spirit would fill me, direct me, and help me bravely do what He prompts me to and that I would love and serve and commit to the people He puts in my life, w/ all their baggage and all mine, that I would truly be a humble fellow follower--not just w/ my head but w/ my heart and feet--of Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home