This page has moved to a new address.

Life Under the Sun

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Cheri Fuller's What A Son Needs From His Mom was actually an encouraging read for me. Fuller indicates that our sons need our encouragement and involvement, our prayers, our example of faith, our acceptance of their individuality, and our willingness to step back and let them experience the consequences of their own choices. When I finished this book, I felt less overwhelmed and more empowered than I generally do after I read a parenting book, largely because I felt like I could--by God's grace-- do what she suggests. I've a tendency to try to pick my battles anyway and to give kids room to be who they are (at least in some areas; others are more of a struggle), while of course also trying to help them be guided by God's Word. Many times I feel guilty that I'm not more exacting and more consistent (which is needful). Still, giving kids room to make decisions for themselves (within reason) does have merit. I do also think it's so important to not focus on negatives (though we don't ignore them either) but to be on the look out for honest positives to share with our sons as we see God at work in their lives and recognize ways He's gifted them as individuals.
I also appreciate the quotes and stories she suggests sharing with our sons though I wish she'd given even more specific suggestions.
I received this book from Bethany House in order to review it.