This page has moved to a new address.

Who does the doing

Life Under the Sun: Who does the doing

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Who does the doing

When can you ever say it's enough? My daughter struggles with an attitude of I want my way and I want it now. She's stubborn and irrational. But after many suffered consequences, she recognizes that something just isn't right within her; she wonders if she's really God's after all. She asks me what she can do to fix things. Is it because she doesn't read her Bible every day? Did she not "pray the prayer" quite right three years ago? Should she do it again?
Why is she so stuck on what she can do when it's not so much the doing but the thinking process--what and who's influencing it--that isn't what it should be? Not what she's doing but Who she's with, Who's with her.

I want the best for my kids. I know they're not geniuses but I like to think they're quite smart and talented in their own ways and each is truly special, unique. Sometimes I think if I could just get them into this program or take them through this study or connect them with these people/group/whatever, then it would all come together for them and they'd truly blossom. It's all my fault, I think. I just keep making the wrong choices. I must inspire them and help them find their purpose in life.

I read a book about a girl with a make believe town that she "snows" upon. Then her real town is covered in unexpected snow and she thinks she's responsible for it. I was struck by the thought that I am very much like that girl. I think that I have way more power than I really do.
Who do I think is in control?

It's not an excuse to roll over and play dead. It's not that we should ignore that there may be something we can do, but it is needful to pray for a renewed inner person first.
Because only what He does in me, Who He is, makes what I do worthwhile, as I walk with Him.